GFRG has seen increasing use in construction as architectural elements over the past decades. Much of this is due to its extreme durability, as well as its ease and affordability in design and installation. GFRG can readily resist various conditions, impacts, bending and stretching, scratching, and other damages that are common in commercial buildings.
This durability results from aherance to several mechanical standards. At GC Products, we assure reliable quality throughout our products with additional standards and specifications.
Standards Our GFRG Elements Meet at GC Products
The primary standards for glass fiber reinforced gypsum products are ASTM Standards C1381 and C1355. These standards, in conjunction with our own, require that any GFRG architectural element that we produce meets:
- Fiberglass Content – By weight, a completed product must contain at least 5% fiberglass. The glass fibers are the primary strengthening operator in GFRG and this ratio is our minimum for creating a final product that is strong enough.
- Minimum Density – Each of our products has a density between 103 and 112 pounds per cubic foot. This creates a durable, uniform density while enabling the weight of a GFRG product to remain manageable.
- Minimum Thickness – Each product has a minimum shell thickness of 3/16” and control thickness of 5/16”. With this minimum thickness, GFRG components are thick enough to be durable and resistant to impacts.
- Flexural Strength – The flexural strength, or the ability for an element to bend without breaking, meets the minimum requirement of ASTM Standard C947. It will yield at 1200 psi and fail at the ultimate flexural strength of 2500 psi.
- Impact Resistance – A GFRG product can take an impact of at least 3 pounds per foot without taking damage, as required by ASTM Standard D256.
- Hardness Scale – GFRG products have a hardness of at least 50 Barcol. This enables GFRG to resist scratching.
- Humidity and Thermal Expansion – Any humidity will cause materials to naturally expand. The GFRG has a humidified deflection of less than 3mm to prevent any damage from the product itself or structures it is adhered to. The coefficient of linear thermal expansion is less than 11.1X10-6 in(in Fahrenheit).
- Flame and Smoke Resistance – In accordance with ASTM Standard E94, GFRG elements have a flame spread index and smoke development index of zero. This makes them extremely fire safe and effective in slowing damage during fire.
- Nail Pull Resistance – A GFRG product can stand at least 110 pound-force before nails can be pulled through. This makes items affixed to GFRG extremely secure.
- Warpage, Bowing, and straightness – The warpage or bowing of a finished product is approximately 1/16” per foot and the straightness is approximately ⅛” over 8 feet. This makes for finished products that have highly exact measurements in order to fit exactly into the intended location.
With these different requirements, you can be sure that every GFRG component meets the standards necessary for renovation and new construction projects. In addition, you can also rely on each product to be long lasting and stand up to any daily use or unexpected events that may occur at your property.
GC Products unites these specifications, comprehensive design and manufacturing processes, affordable pricing, and a dedication of quality that has enabled us to make our GFRG architectural elements the leading solutions in the industry. Learn more about our process and get a free quote for your project today.