Adding a recessed shower niche to your bathroom gives you storage that is both attractive and functional. Our GFRC shower niches from Ledge Products in particular are a leading choice for a shower niche with affordable prices, easy installation, and limitless options for finishing.
But even when choosing from among our standard recessed shower shelves, there are several options and your selections now will impact the appearance and the way you use the finished shelf. Here we outline some factors that go into choosing the shower shelf that is best for your bathroom.
Selecting the Size that Fits Your Space
Our shower niches come in a standard 14” width. This is by design. The studs where niches are installed are generally that far apart, meaning that the edges of your shelf can be securely affixed to the studs, eliminating any need to build a separate structure to support the niche.
The size of your shower niche and the height at which it is installed have a greater variety of choices. We offer four standard heights – 7”, 14”, 18”, and 22”. When deciding which will work best in your space, consider:
- Bathtub or Shower – Shower niches are typically installed at eye level. Whether you are installing the shelf in a shower or bathtub/shower combo will determine where eyelevel is and at what height the lower edge of the niche will be easily reached.
- User Height – For most adults, a niche installed between 4’ and 5’ feet high will be readily accessible, but if this is for your personal bathroom, you can take into account your own height.
- Types of Objects Stored – Tall shampoo and soap bottles will need additional space in order to fit. If you plan on keeping these types of toiletries on your recessed shelf, opt for a taller option.
- Appearance – Recessed shelves naturally provide a modern, minimalist appearance and their style can be enhanced with your tyle design. If you want a shower niche to stand out with contrasting or decorative tile, think about how large the design should be in the available space.
- Tile Design – Some homeowners prefer the height of the shower niche to correspond with the surrounding tile so as not to interrupt the pattern. If you already have tile chosen, you might select a shower niche based on the size of the adjacent tiling.
Among our standard shower niches through Ledge Products, we also offer the double niche measuring 14” x 22” with a middle dividing shelf. This option provides additional and varied storage, but does not require installing multiple separate shelves.
Some properties may require a more customized recessed shelf. While the standard niches are suitable for many bathrooms, homeowners or designers that are seeking a special size, shape, or feature can also have a custom shower niche designed by GC Products.
To place an order or get personalized guidance on which product is right for your remodeling project, contact us by phone or anytime through our website.